Galleria del Vento
Gruppo di Ricerca
Maria Vittoria Salvetti
The closed-return Goettingen type wind tunnel has an open (round) test section of 1.1 m in diameter, 1.4 m in length, and is characterized by a free-stream velocity 10-40 m/s and by a turbulence level of 0.9%. Available instrumentation:
- Pitot-static tube – the free-stream velocity is measured through a Pitot-static tube.
- Hot-wire anemometry – The velocity measurements to obtain the boundary layer profiles and the wake field are carried out using an IFA AN 1003 A.A. Lab System hot-wire anemometry module. Single-wire and X-wire Dantec probes are moved in the x, y and z directions with an accuracy of 0.1 mm by means of a computer-controlled traversing system.
- Pressure measurements – The pressures are measured using two Pressure Systems ESP-16HD miniature electronic pressure scanners. The scanners can be positioned inside the model with the relevant output cables passing through the support fairing.
- Force measurements – six-component strain-gauge balance
- Temperature measurements – thermocouple
- Vorticity measurements – vorticity probe (vorticimeter)
- Flow visualizations: cotton tufts, smoke, paints, liquid crystals.